United States Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
U.S. District Court of Kansas
- University of Iowa, J.D.
- University of Wisconsin, B.S.
Mary Jo serves as a shareholder and member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She is a trial attorney with experience in state and federal courts. Her substantive practice areas include land use and regulatory hearings, appeals and litigation, and related constitutional challenges affecting private property rights. This includes disputes over development plans, plats, use permits, variances, and zoning decisions. She also handles business and employment law matters and lawsuits. She has defended clients and their business managers in sex, race, age, and other discrimination cases. Her clients range from large and small businesses and retailers to local landowners and area municipalities.
Mary Jo is a member of the Missouri and Kansas Bar Associations and has earned admission to the federal courts in the Eighth and Tenth Circuits. She is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, a national fellowship composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. She has been named as Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyer each year since 2006. She also has been awarded the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent rating from the Bar and the Judiciary, and has been selected for the Bar Registry of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Eminent Domain
- Land Use, Zoning, and Private Property Litigation
- Employment & Workplace
Activities and Memberships
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Super Lawyer, Missouri and Kansas
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America Trial Lawyers Honorary Counsel
- Highest attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell (AV)
- reStart Inc., pro bono legal work for homeless shelter
- Human Rights Campaign, Member and former Board Member of the Kansas City HRC Board
- Steve Metzler Mentor Program, GLCC
- Women’s Foundation