United States Supreme Court
United States Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- University of Missouri-Columbia School of Law, J.D.
- University of Missouri-Columbia Public Administration, B.S.B.A.
Jim is a leader in land use and real estate development throughout the greater Kansas City area. The focus of Jim’s practice is public law, including development, redevelopment, zoning, variances, tax increment financing, and condemnation.
As a former Assistant City Attorney for the City of Kansas City, Jim has a thorough knowledge of building codes and building permit requirements. He has been an adviser for many economic development projects and forums.
Areas of Practice
- Economic Development Incentives
- Eminent Domain
- Land Use and Zoning
- Local Government Counsel
- Real Estate Tax Incentives
Activities and Memberships
- Assistant City Attorney, 1972-1983 City of Kansas City, Missouri
- Acting City Attorney, 1983, City of Kansas City, Missouri
- Deputy City Attorney, 1984, City of Kansas City, Missouri
- Missouri Municipal Attorneys Association, President 1980-1981
- National Institute of Municipal Law Officers
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal, for Land Use & Zoning
- Super Lawyer, Missouri and Kansas
- Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating for 25 years
- Top Attorney in Missouri, KC Magazine
- Best Lawyers in America
- Highest attorney rating from Martindale-Hubbell (AV)