U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Central Missouri, B.S., 2000
Brett is an experienced litigator who has successfully represented business clients ranging from sole proprietorships to Fortune 100 companies in complex disputes involving contractual rights and obligations, fraud and misrepresentation, fiduciary duties, real estate transactions, franchise agreements, zoning appeals, consumer protection, telecommunications and other business disputes.
Brett puts the client’s goals first and foremost, and approaches each matter with a driven focus on efficiently achieving those goals. Although each case is prepared in anticipation of trial, Brett understands the best result for a client is often achieved through creative resolution outside the courtroom.
Brett joined the Firm in 2015 after spending eight years as an associate and shareholder at one of the fastest-growing Am Law 100 firms in the country. Brett is committed to providing high-quality legal representation in a collaborative and cost-efficient manner.
- After extensive discovery, obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of national wireless carrier in contractual indemnity lawsuit filed by investment bank seeking over $13 million in damages
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of client sued for fraud and misrepresentation in the sale of real estate after obtaining summary judgment order striking the majority of plaintiffs’ damages and successfully briefing and arguing motion to strike plaintiffs’ damage expert
- After jury trial in rural Kansas, obtained defense verdict and award of attorney’s fees on behalf of national furniture retailer sued for breach of contract and violations of consumer protection statutes
- Obtained judgment at trial for damages and attorney’s fees on behalf of commercial landlord in lawsuit alleging breach of contract and counterclaims for tortious interference with business relations
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of national wireless carrier against local governing body, which unreasonably denied application for special use permit to construct a new wireless telecommunications tower
- After discovering critical evidence, obtained favorable settlement on behalf of residential developer in lawsuit involving easement rights with surrounding golf course that were essential to success of the project
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of nationwide auto collision franchisor after successfully representing client in evidentiary hearing challenging validity of the franchise agreement
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of developer of shopping center in dispute regarding termination of sale contract
Activities and Memberships
- Earl E. O’Connor Inn of Court
- Lee’s Summit Chamber of Commerce – 2014 Graduate of Leadership Lee’s Summit
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers – Trial Academy