Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court, District of Nebraska
U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, J.D. 2017, cum laude, Advocacy Emphasis
- University of Missouri-Columbia, B.A. 2013
Garrett Hunkins litigates complex criminal and civil cases. He helps corporations, organizations, and individuals navigate their way through high-stakes litigation, investigations, and regulatory matters. He works diligently to find creative solutions to his client’s problems.Garrett’s breadth of experience includes litigating partnership and shareholder disputes, breach of contract and unfair competition cases, conspiracy charges, healthcare fraud cases, False Claims Act matters, and other white-collar crimes. He is a knowledgeable advocate both at trial and on appeal, has conducted internal investigations, and is well positioned to take on and resolve executive compensation, discrimination, and other employment disputes.
Garrett regularly counsels clients on a host of issues and is familiar with all aspects of litigation, appearing in federal and state courts, before regulatory bodies, and at mediations and arbitration on behalf of his clients.
Garrett has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star since 2022.
Representative matters include:
- Obtained judgment in client’s favor after four-day injunction hearing over alleged breaches of contract and violation of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.
- Obtained temporary restraining order enforcing noncompete agreement and prohibiting client’s former employee from starting competing business.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of client sued for tortious interference with restrictive covenant.
- Successfully enforced settlement of partnership dispute and obtained award of attorney’s fees on client’s behalf.
- Successful appeal before the Missouri Court of Appeals of trial court judgment erroneously declaring that ERISA plan had no right of reimbursement from the civil judgment of plan’s beneficiary.
Garrett received his undergraduate degree from the University of Missouri and his J.D. from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law, where he graduated cum laude. He was a member of the UMKC Law Review, serving as Lead Comment Editor. Garrett received CALI Excellence Awards for top grades in Criminal Law, Legislation, and Seminar on the Supreme Court.
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Criminal Defense & Compliance Litigation
- Employment & Workplace
Activities and Memberships
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
- Ross T. Roberts Trial Academy
- KCMBA Bar Leadership Academy
- Board of Directors, Mizzou Alumni Association Kansas City
- Board of Directors, Catholic Lawyers Guild of Kansas City