Bar & Court Admissions
- Loyola Law School, J.D. 2000
- United States Air Force Academy, B.S. 1995
Darren represents clients in the renewable energy industry, including wind energy, solar energy, battery and other energy storage, and hydrogen, in the general areas of real estate, financing, construction, and business transactions relating to project acquisitions, dispositions, development and operations. He leads a team of real estate lawyers handling real estate transactions involving portfolios of wind, solar, and storage energy projects, including leases, easements, and other landowner agreements in more than 35 states.
Darren has extensive experience negotiating Stock and membership interest purchase and sale agreements relating to renewable energy projects; Asset Purchase and Sale Agreements relating to renewable energy projects; Federal and state permitting of renewable energy projects; PILOT agreements; Decommissioning and other security agreements with governmental authorities; Engineering, Procurement, and Construction Agreements and other construction-related agreements, such as road maintenance agreements and encroachment agreements.
Darren also represents real estate owners, developers, and tenants in various commercial real estate transactions, including purchases, sales, and commercial leases, and has extensive experience negotiating leases for: Retail; Shopping centers; Build-to-suit projects; Office buildings; Long-term ground; Industrial sites.
Additionally, Darren represents lending institutions and borrowers in complex construction and permanent real estate financing transactions and asset-based financial transactions. Residential and commercial developers also benefit from his counsel in establishing homes associations and business associations and drafting subdivision documents, including covenants and restrictions for the development.
See what Real Estate projects Darren has helped complete on our Project Map.
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Energy Law
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Areas of Emphasis
- Renewable Energy
- Real Estate Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Activities and Memberships
- Kansas Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- Leadership Overland Park, Class of 2008
- United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
Honors and Recognition
- Ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyer for Business, Real Estate (Kansas)
- Selected as among The Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate
- Selected by Super Lawyers for Missouri & Kansas Rising Stars
Publications and Presentations
- Wind Transactions – Presentation Given to the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, 2012
- Anatomy of a Wind Lease – Presentation Given at the UMKC Energy Symposium, 2012
- Wind Development in the State of Kansas – Presentation Given to The Kansas Bankers Association, April 2010
- Recent Development in Kansas Zoning and Land Use Law – Presentation Given at Kansas Bar Association Annual Survey and Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 2002-03