Rouse Frets White Goss Gentile Rhodes, P.C.
5250 W. 116th Place, Suite 400
Leawood, Kansas 66211
Leawood Main: (913) 387-1600
Fax: (913) 928-6739
Direct: (913) 209-5134
U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- University of Kansas, B.A., 1976
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 1979
Scott specializes in complex business litigation and dispute resolution with his practice touching all aspects of commercial, real estate, land use, development, construction, and business matters including transactions including multi-party and business transactions. Scott also has substantial experience in advancing clients’ interests before regulatory and governmental bodies with a focus ranging from zoning, permitting, gaming, and property tax, to other regulatory matters.
See what Real Estate projects Scott has helped complete on our Project Map.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business Litigation
- Business Law/Transactions
- Administrative & Regulatory Proceedings
- Real Estate
- Land Use & Development
- Construction Law
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE
- Business and Business Disputes Resolution
- Complex Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Trust & Estate Litigation
- Real Estate
- Business Transactions
- Construction Law
- Insurance Recovery & Counseling
- Gaming Regulation
ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Kansas Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association (Kansas)
HONORS AND RECOGNITION
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Kansas Litigation, 2007-2013, 2018, 2019, 2022; 2023 Noted Practitioner
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2011 – 2023
- Best Lawyers in America®, Kansas City, Mo. Litigation – Insurance “Lawyer of the Year,” 2020
- Best Lawyers, Kansas City, Kan. Litigation – Land Use and Zoning “Lawyer of the Year,” 2013, 2018
- Benchmark Litigation’s, “Litigation Stars,” 2013, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Super Lawyers, Missouri/Kansas, 2005-2008, 2013-2014; 2018; and 2022
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, “Super Lawyer,” 2008
- Serves as general outside counsel for ScriptPro LLC, a world leader in pharmaceutical robotics and pharmacy systems.
- Served as counsel for New Directions Behavioral Health, a national behavioral health company.
- Served as lead counsel in successful defense of billion dollar damage and corporate takeover dispute involving claims of fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Serves as Racing and Gaming counsel to Ruffin Properties. Engaged as special advisor with regard to gaming and gaming-related issues and other legal matters for publicly traded company. Co-authored Kansas Parimutuel Racing Act; State Owned and Operated Gaming Legislation in Kansas; and Sports Wagering and Historical Horse Racing Legislation in Kansas.
- Extensive experience as counsel for numerous real estate developers and companies including Arch Design Builders, Julian Morrissey Horn Development, Zarda Brothers, and Fishman and Company. Projects included focus on real estate development, planning, zoning, land use and related environmental issues, lending, complex contract disputes, and commercial litigation.
- Served as counsel for developers of Ironhorse Golf Course in Leawood, Kansas; Brookridge Country Club in Overland Park, Kansas; Lakeside Hills Golf Club in Olathe, Kansas; Country Club of Leawood in Leawood, Kansas; Prairie Highlands Golf Course in Olathe, Kansas; Falcon Ridge Golf Course in Lenexa, Kansas; and Falcon Lakes Golf Course in Basehor, Kansas.
- Extensive case experience concerning construction engineering and construction law issues (including geotechnical, mechanical and structural engineering); clients include Kaw Valley Engineering, Weigel Construction, Building Erection Services, Midwest Crane and Arch Design.
- Engaged as lead counsel in numerous construction default and defect cases, including representation of multiple homeowners in the nationally-reported Turnberry home collapse cases, and representation of numerous other property owners in landslide and subsidence cases.
- Extensive condemnation experience including prosecution of claims and appeals resulting from projects in Topeka, Olathe, Overland Park, Shawnee, Merriam, Johnson County and Wyandotte County, Kansas. Served as counsel representing Knickerbocker Properties (Corporate Woods), and Brookridge Country Club regarding condemnation takings related to the improvements planned for I-435 and the Antioch/I-435 Interchange; served as counsel representing landowners in defense of takings pertaining to I-70 reconstruction.
- Served as counsel to Miami Tribe of Oklahoma with regard to gaming-related issues; served as counsel to federally recognized Shawnee Indian Tribe; engaged as trial counsel in federal court matters related to re-establishment of Tribal reservation ground in Johnson County, Kansas; prosecuted Treaty-based claims against the United States; served as litigation counsel in support of transfer of Sunflower Ammunition Facility to trust for benefit of Shawnee Tribe.
- Serves as Property Tax Litigation counsel to Home Depot; served as counsel to Target before Kansas Board of Tax Appeals and Kansas Appellate Courts.
- Regulatory practice before numerous governmental bodies in Douglas, Johnson and Wyandotte Counties in Kansas; including the Johnson County Board of Commissioners, the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and the cities of Lawrence, Overland Park, Lenexa, Leawood, Shawnee, Merriam, Kansas City, Olathe, and Basehor, among others.
- Managed zoning and permit applications and litigation across Kansas and Missouri for establishment of complete wireless communication network and attendant issues under the Telecommunications Act.
- Testified in numerous hearings before the Kansas State House of Representatives and Senate.